Friday, December 20, 2013

The Gastronomical Bucket List

 
 

So I've been thinking a lot lately about the foods I'll miss. I know that a successful diet will require finding foods I like and continuing to eat but to do so by making smarter choices. But I'm not stupid, either. That's just code for "you won't be eating some of your favorite foods anymore." Here's an homage, in no particular order, to the foods I'll miss most and some personal pictures to go with them:

1.  Crazy Bread - Seriously. Who doesn't love this stuff. Little Caesar's is not my idea of high quality pizza but for the price you can't beat it and there's nothing finer than those pillowy, buttery, garlicky, parmesan-infused breadsticks of awesomeness.



2. Jet's Pizza - This is my idea of high quality pizza. Seriously. If you haven't had Jet's Pizza since they moved to Lexington a year or so ago then stop what you're doing and go get some. Now. I'll wait...

3. North Lime Doughnuts - The phrase "culinary perversion" comes to mind. The good people at North Lime Coffee & Doughnuts do things with pastry that should be illegal. Who'd have thought that bacon on a doughnut was such a brilliant idea. Next thing you know they'll be putting Nutella or children's cereal on a doughnut. Oh....wait...they did that already.

4. Beer - In the words of Homer Simpson, "Mmmmmm...Beeeeeer." And I'm not talking about that golden urine-colored stuff that your buds call an American lager. I'll miss West 6th IPA, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, Kentucky IPA, and sipping a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy on a warm summer day. That stuff is just plain tasty. And don't tell me I can still drink Michelob Ultra. I will cut you.



5. Nachos - In the About Me section of this blog I reference having lived for an entire summer off of nachos. That is no exaggeration. I seriously love nachos.

6. Cheese - This is separate from nachos because cheese, in and of itself, is bliss. I've been known to lop off a big chunk of cheddar and just eat it like an entrée. I actually bought an entire wheel of cheese once and drove it to Kentucky from North Carolina. Below is a picture of the moment I celebrated with my wheel o'cheese. I'm ashamed at how quickly I ate that. Or am I?



7. Ribs/BBQ - This little gem became one of my favorites after living in Owensboro, Ky., then Georgia and then visiting Memphis a couple of times. Let me be clear - there is no good BBQ in Lexington. There is some decent stuff but it doesn't hold a candle to the stuff I have made in my own smoker at home and even that still isn't fit to brush the rub onto ribs at Rendezvous in Memphis. All hail the Rendezvous. Hail!



8. Cheesecake - A desert so good they built an entire restaurant chain around it. Unfortunately it is the restaurant chain that holds the title of Highest Calorie Entrée. Looks like the closest I'm getting to a Cheesecake Factory is reruns of The Big Bang Theory.

9. Mexican food - It's simple. It's everywhere. And nothing beats a big plate of tacos and rice. Any of my compadres from Western Kentucky University know that this habit was groomed in the sticky booths of Puerto Vallarta.

10. Mt. Dew - You've been a good and true friend, my fizzy green confidant. However, diet or otherwise everything points to your contributions to my waistline. We had a lot of good times together, didn't we? I'd have never made all those 8 a.m. or even 9:30 a.m. classes in college without you. But all things are for a season and its time for you to return to the hood of a NASCAR vehicle.

These are just a few of the many things I'll miss beginning January 1, 2014. What would you give up to make a better life for yourself and help others? Share it with me! Coming soon is 10 things I won't miss about being fat.

Share:

1 comment:

  1. Just in case you're missing something you really really enjoy, check the calorie count on Guiness - I've heard it's less than Michelob Ultra!

    ReplyDelete

© Pounding Poverty All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates