Friday, January 10, 2014

Standing on the gray box of doom



I never rushed a fraternity but heard tell of something called "Hell Week" that I'm sure was less than pleasant. On Week 2 of this journey I have experienced something that can only be described as Hell Week. Enter the gray box of doom.

Personal training in Week 2 of this challenge moved into high gear when Warren the Trainer introduced me to a simple, gray wooden box, about 2 to 3 feet tall and asked me to step up onto it. And then off. And then on. And then back on again. And then off. And then on again. Yeah, it was that obnoxious.

This gray box routine continued until my upper thigh muscles excused themselves, walked out the door, down the street, and jumped off a nearby bridge. That's when Warren the Trainer handed me a 15-pound medicine ball and said, "OK, let's go again." My response was less than polite as I looked at the sweat now beginning to accumulate on the gym floor between me and the box. I believe I quoted Q-bert - #$%@!*&!!!

And so I have met my nemesis - the gray box. This story took place on Wednesday and I must admit to avoiding the box when I worked out this Friday morning. I could see it from the corner of my eye while doing some bicep curls. I saw you over there you $%@*&. Tomorrow, though, I will face this demon and take a few more steps toward my goal.

This past Monday's Week 1 weigh in found I had said goodbye to 13.4 pounds and while I can't sustain that rate I'd like to see a continued decline when I weigh in for Week 2 on Monday morning. Today I received my first "Have you lost weight?" question from a colleague who didn't know about my work here so the loss must be starting to show. Already I am feeling better and motivated to continue.

You'll get tired of reading this but I can't thank you all enough for your support for Pounding Poverty. Pledges continue to grow and we are now up to $86.50 per pound for Community Action Council. That is unbelievable! I knew I had lots of wonderful friends and family but your generosity blows me away. Thank you and stay tuned for Week 2 numbers.

P.S. - Sorry for the long break between blog posts this week. My wireless router at home hasn't been working but appears to be on the mend.
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Pounding Poverty All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates